Crockery via here
Sara's Classic Bistro Style Gratin Dauphinoise -
French Gratin Potatoes
SERVES 4 -6
* 1.5 kgs waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
YOU MUST USE A V-SLICER!! You can get them from Victorias Basement QVB for about $40. It’s worth it TRUST ME
(such as Desiree, Golden Wonder, Maris Piper, Idaho or King Edward)
* 200 grams cheese, grated (gruyere or tasty) I try to use light
* 430 ml double cream (I try to use light here too)
* fresh ground black pepper
* 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
* 2 sprigs fresh thyme
* 25 grams butter
* cheese, for topping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/gas mark 2.
2.Take a heavy-bottomed dish or an ovenproof gratin dish, and grease it will with some of the butter. I use one about 10 cm deep, 40 cm long and 20 cm wide.
3. Layer the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping each other, seasoning lightly with the salt and pepper, and sprinkling a liberal amount of cheese on each layer.
4. Sprinkle cheese on the top of the last layer.
5. Put the double cream, garlic and sprigs of thyme in a pan and bring to them gently to the boil, then remove the thyme and pour hot cream over the potatoes.
6. Dot the top of the gratin with the remaining butter and some extra cheese if you wish, and bake for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, or until the potatoes are soft, and the top is crispy and golden brown.
YUMMMMMMM! Via here.