My nan used to make these.. this is not her recipe.. but it is nearly as nice!
For the pastry
100g plain flour
pinch of salt
one tsp caster sugar
one egg yolk and cold water to mix
For the filling
50 g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
50 g dessicated coconut
3 tbsp self raising flour
Preheat oven to 190 degrees (or 375 degrees farenheit) This recipe makes one dozen.
- For the pastry - rub the butter into the flour and salt until it resembles breadcrumbs; stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the egg yolk and enough cold water to make a firm dough. Turn onto a floured board and roll out thinly.
- Cut into rounds large enough to fill a shallow patty pan tin. (We used a glass to to this.. like nan used to).
- Line each patty pan hollow, and then put a little bit of jam in each one.
Now make the filling:
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the egg a little at a time. Then fold in the coconut and the flour.
- Place spoonfuls of this mixture on top of the jammy lined patty pans.
- It will spread out as you cook it.. so don't be too precise...
Bake for 15 to 20 mins until golden and firm. Cool and eat!
Gorgeous cake stand from here